The following pages contain information regarding various facets of the French army of 1914-1918. To this aim, a broader understanding of the army the 151e R.I. was apart of -- it's organization, structure and operation -- is attained. Additionally, cultural elements have been included to better illustrate the daily life of the average French foot-soldier. Visitors can look forward to seeing this section grow more and more.
Please see the Recommended Reading for sources on the French army of 14-18.
Structure and Organization:
- Order of Battle (August 1914)
- Listing of French Regiments and Battalions, 1914-18 (Coming Soon!)
- Organization of an Infantry Division
- Organization of a Territorial Division
- Organization of an Infantry Regiment
- Organization of an Infantry Company
- Organization of a Machine-Gun Section in 1915
- Rank Structure of the Infantry
- The Military Regions of France and the System of National Conscription
- French Regiments and Their Garrisons in 1914
- Dissolution of French Regiments, 1916-1918
Field Entrenchments and Obstacles:
- General Layout of a French Trench System (1916-1918)
- French Trench Construction Methods
- French Shelters in the Trenches and in the Rear
- French Wire-Entanglement and Obstacle Construction
School of the Infantry Soldier:
- Movements Without Arms
- Movements With Arms
- Inspections - Equipment, Clothing and Arms
- Bayonet Drill
- Rifle School
- Instructions For the Rifleman in the Trenches
- Hand Grenade School
- Sentry and Look-Out Duty
Infantry Combat Tactics and Operations:
- Combat of the Section and Group
- French Army Signaling System Part I: Morse Code and Gesturing
- French Army Signaling System Part II: Illuminating Fireworks and Other Signaling Devices
- Commands By Signals and Whistles
- Properties of the Machine-Gun
Archive Editions of the 151st RI Unit Newsletter: "La Pilule Amère"
- La Pilule Amère No. 1
"Trench Journalism of the French Army" -- " '...We are all condemned...we are the sacrificed.' : The Mentality of the ‘Poilus’ in the Great War" -- "All Creatures Great and Small: Listing of the Uniform and Equipment of the French Infantry Soldier."
- La Pilule Amère No. 2
"Christmas in the Trenches" -- "Les Tranchées Françaises: Appearance of French Trenches in the Great War"
- La Pilule Amère No. 3
"A Brief (Unscientific) Study of Geology and Topography on the Western Front" -- "Winter in the Trenches: Cold, Rain & Mud" -- "Barda Brief: The Tent-Canvas"
- La Pilule Amère No. 4
"A Day in the Trenches: Fatigues, Patrols & Raids" -- " 'The burdens to be borne are formidable...': Relief Marches and the Gear of the French Infantryman" -- "Le Boire et le Manger: The Food of the French Army" -- "Barda Brief: French Army Boots"
- La Pilule Amère No. 5
"1915: The Killing Year"
- La Pilule Amère No. 6
"Poilu Slang" -- "Barda Brief: The M2 Mask"
- La Pilule Amère No. 7
"Poilu Slang" -- "Barda Brief: The Adrian Helmet"
- La Pilule Amère No. 8
"Poilu Slang" -- "The French Army in the Battle of the Somme, 1916"